Did you know that we can absorb chemicals through our nails just like our skin. The thought of that just makes my head spin! If you are a stickler about ingredients like I am then consider looking into brands that eliminate toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene, camphor, ethyl tosylamide and xylene. If you’re into the “mani pedi” thing then take it a step further and look into salons that offer safer brands.
The goal for conscious brands is to eliminate harmful chemicals. Some pride themselves on being “7-Free” which addresses 7 of the most harmful ingredients listed below:
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) is a commonly used plasticizer and has been linked to cancer. It has also been connected to birth defects.
- Formaldehyde is a commonly used chemical to preserve and embalm dead animals and humans. It’s vapors can trigger asthma. It is also a known human carcinogen.
- Formaldehyde Resin is a derivative of formaldehyde and is mainly used in coatings and adhesives.
- Camphor is a poison that can cause seizures in large doses.
- Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP) is used in plastics and as a flame retardant. Some animal studies suggest that it can disrupt hormones.
- Xylene is an irritating to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract
Are you familiar with the EWG? The Environmental Working Group is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting our health and planet. They research and investigate everything from skincare to water safety. You can check the safety level from skincare to hair products and more. Check them out!
I want all of you to be safe and use brands that are earth conscious and remove these harmful chemicals so check out some of my favorite brands here:
How about a Brand that is free of ALL harsh and smelly chemicals? Their polish is water-based, vegan and cruelty free. I love that this brand is made in the USA and is eco-friendly. Sophi scores an EWG score of 1 so it is free of cancer-causing agents, immunotoxicity and allergens. Check out my 2 favorite colors Mi Amore and Incogni “Toe“
This amazing brand was created by two empowering women in Hawaii, Terry & Lyn Lam. They are truly living their purpose creating a polish that is earth conscious and safe for adults, children, pregnant women and cancer patients. They truly believe that no one should sacrifice their health for beauty. Like Sophi, Kapa Nui received an EWG score of 1. I love the 3-in-1 Nail Repair.
Honestly, I love Elle + Mila! Their colors are beautiful and they offer more than nail polish. They pride themselves on being 7-Free so you can be sure that the 7 most harmful ingredients are not going on your nails and being absorbed. Their products are Cruelty free and Vegan. Their motto is “polish with love” and they make sure their products are as clean as possible. Check out my favorite color Sugar Fairy!
More and more companies are becoming more earth conscious if you will. This makes it easier for many of us who are sticklers about safe ingredients to shop and find products that we love. Your body deserves only the best so do your research and find things you love that your body will love as well!
Cheers to your best life!